Thursday 8 December 2016

New Beginnings: R.I.P. Aggie’s Merengue

Because Fritha’s is taking over, as of now! It seems very fitting that as I’m starting new adventures and learning how to be my own boss, I am also re-choreographing a much loved warm-up routine that I’ve used for years. As Justina Chen penned in her book North of Beautiful “You raze the old to raise the new”.

Aggie was the first Salsa promoter to employ me as a teacher. At his club night in Weybridge, Surrey, we always started with a Merengue line dance to El Tiburon by Projecto Uno. Let’s just say, I have very fond memories, and I have kept his dance alive long after the club has died. I know a few of us who used to go to the club are still dancing. I know Aggie got married. He hired my dance company to perform at his wedding. So many years later, I wonder if he even remembers his own routine!

Merengue is a very simple dance from the Dominican Republic. It is the best place to start if your new beginning is to learn how to dance with a partner. If I am trying to teach at a party and everyone has had rather a lot to drink, this is what I teach! Anyone can do it. It takes about fifteen minutes to learn how to lead or follow, and away you go. Okay, so the stylistic details may take some people a while to learn, but when you don’t really care about details and you just want to get started dancing with a partner, trust me, Merengue is what you need. The footwork is really simple. You can start having fun experimenting with the whole lead and follow thing with a partner very quickly. The music is easy to keep in time with. It’s a strong, even, dush, dush, dush rhythm, just like pop music. You can dance and relax and enjoy your three-way (you, your partner and the music) in no time at all.





Then also, if you want to improve your posture, hip action, shoulder movement, arm placement or stepping technique for any of the Latin dance styles, I would recommend practicing with the Merengue step first, before you try to add it to anything more complex. As the step is so simple, you can start to embellish your dancing with good technique and stylistic details much more quickly than you can with other dances.

I have a lot more to tell you about Merengue (and Aggie’s club for that matter!) but I’ll dance around a few more topics and then get back to it. Variety is the spice of life, ‘n all that jazz.


Good luck to you, if you are starting something new or making a fresh start. “Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” – Carl Bard 

No comments:

Post a Comment